In January of this year (2019), I was diagnosed with craniocervical instability, chiari malformation, and neck instability down to C5/C6 of my cervical spine. I was prescribed a neck brace, and instucted to wear it 23 out of 24 hours a day, and to continue to do so if it significantly helped my symptoms.
This video gives some tips that I've found useful for getting used to wearing the neck brace. I will continue to share more tips as I find them!
- Update on how I'm feeling + what symptoms my neck brace helps with
- Getting used to wearing a neck brace (2:55)
- Wearing a neck brace in public (4:19)
- How to answer neck brace questions (6:08)
- How to "hide" your neck brace (7:18)
- What kind of neck collar do I use? (7:41)
- Sleeping in a neck brace (8:32)
- Washing your neck brace (10:21)
- Taking off your neck brace (11:37)
- Does taking my brace off make me feel worse? (12:03)
- Eating with your neck brace (13:14)
- Jaw pain (TMJD) & your neck brace (13:58)
- Driving with a neck brace (15:40)
- Could your neck brace make your instability worse? (16:41)
If you have any tips for wearing a neck brace, I would love to hear them in the comments below.